Re: Testing relational databases

From: JXStern <JXSternChangeX2R_at_gte.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 18:49:37 GMT

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 20:01:58 +0100, AndrewMcDonagh <newsamd_at_amc.com> wrote:
>> Database people do not use "persist" as a transitive verb.
>
>That is very true.
>
>Unfortunately, the majority of uses of RDBMs is to only persist
>mission-critical data. The vast majority of development done with dbms
>that I've come across (from all sizes of company - startups - medium -
>large multinational corps) have all done the same.

I have to agree.

Even had the head of a database group of twenty people, tell me that was his ideal.

Fortunately, not one of his developers agreed with him.

>Lots of tables, several referential constraints, a fair few uniqueness
>constraints, and db links and a sprinkling of joins.

Just so.

System I'm on now goes somewhat beyond this, fwiw, but it still peeves me they don't use a lot more DRI, and should probably denormalize a little, someone read a book on 3NF/4NF and applied it pretty much religiously (not quite always, however), so some common selects require a whole lot of tables just to locate a few rows!

J. Received on Sun Jul 16 2006 - 20:49:37 CEST

Original text of this message