Re: A good book

From: Keith H Duggar <duggar_at_alum.mit.edu>
Date: 11 Jul 2006 00:50:30 -0700

J M Davitt wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
> > J M Davitt wrote:
> > > And I think deduction is a better description of
> > > relational expressions, isn't it?
> >
> > Is there a distinction between deduction and inference?
> > I'm not clear.
>
> Deduction and induction are the processes for deriving a
> specific fact from a collection of facts and vise versa;
> Inference covers both of them, I think. Plus, in the
> world of databases, we're seeing the developing notion of
> "inferential services" so I tend to avoid inference.

Marshall, there is a clear, accepted, uncontroversial, and standard specialization of inference called deduction and it is not the one JMD gave. To wit:

  inference : a conclusion drawn from a set of premises

  deduction : an inference that cannot possibly be false if   the premises are true

  induction : an inference that is not a deduction

The words "deduction" and "induction" are sometimes used in other ways so philosophers often use the more explicit terms "deductively valid inference" and "inductive inference". Now inductive inferences usually also involve "generalization".