Re: What databases have taught me

From: Tony D <tonyisyourpal_at_netscape.net>
Date: 8 Jul 2006 16:04:49 -0700

topmind wrote:
> After thousands of debates and failed attempts to find objective
> metrics beyond execution speed and matching stated external
> requirements, I am leaning toward the "art" viewpoint. One man's
> spehgetti code is another man's masterpeice. Just because I find it a
> flaming tangled mess does not mean the next guy will. Related:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/tablizer/science.htm

Ye gods. I'll limit my response to that to a comment on the metrics. How about "correctness" ? Or, "provability" ? Or, "ability to reason about what this software actually does, without resorting to stuffing some more-or-less random test cases through it as some kind of demonstration that it kind-of, maybe, perhaps does what we want it to, for these semi-random test cases at least ?" Received on Sun Jul 09 2006 - 01:04:49 CEST

Original text of this message