Re: OO versus RDB

From: H. S. Lahman <h.lahman_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:07:54 GMT

Responding to Marshall...

>>>Using precise terminology instead of vague terms with very broad
>>>meaning helps communication by limiting the possibilities for
>>>ambiguity. The vague terms have very broad "error bars" and
>>>it's quite difficult to pin down what is meant with those terms.
>>
>>But 'paradigm' is already well defined in any dictionary as a
>>'conceptual model'.

> Do you honestly think so? Do you really think that when you say
> "paradigm" that the majority of your readers interrpet that as
> "conceptual model"? Do you think that the word "paradigm"
> and the phrase "conceptual model" have equal specificity?

1st: of course. 3rd: No because the vast majority of words in English have multiple meanings for different contexts. But in a software development context the relevant meaning is always a conceptual model, so... 2nd: Yes.

There is nothing wrong with me that could not be cured by a capful of Drano.

H. S. Lahman
hsl_at_pathfindermda.com
Pathfinder Solutions -- Put MDA to Work http://www.pathfindermda.com
blog: http://pathfinderpeople.blogs.com/hslahman Pathfinder is hiring: