Re: I think that relational DBs are dead. See link to my article inside

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 Jul 2006 13:20:10 -0700

> I sincerely doubt there is anything you can do in a network model DB that cannot be done at least as well in a Relational model DB. Give just ONE example.

I am not sure if this would qualify, but I would like to see an equivalent RMDB implementation (and also how resilient it is to handling additional data that is unknown during initial db design) for the example posted at www.dbfordummies.com/example/ex039.asp

This example represents a Food Judging Contest. There are three persons. The first named john (aka johnathan) is a judge. The second named john (aka johnny) is a contestant. The third whose name is unknown is a spectator and his age is 28.

There are four food entries. The first is named leftOver1 which is soft and spicy The second is named apple1 which is crunchy and sweet. The third is named broccoli1 which is crunchy. The fourth is named tomato1 which is soft, sweet and sour.

Judge john likes leftOver1 and tomato1. Contestant john likes apple1 and tomato1. Spectator likes broccoli1 and tomato1. In addition, judge john likes contestant john.

There are a number of queries such as:
What entries does judge john (aka johnathan) like? Which fruit entries does contestant john (aka johnny) like? Which vegetable entries does spectator (of age 28) like? Which fruit/vegetable entries johnathan likes? Tomato1 is liked by who?
Which persons who likes crunchy vegetables? Which person likes something that is both a fruit and vegetable? Which entry do judges, contestants and spectators like? Which person likes another person who likes a fruit/vegetable entry? Which person likes something which likes something that is soft, sweet/sour?

Additional details are documented in comments throughout the script. Received on Mon Jul 03 2006 - 22:20:10 CEST

Original text of this message