Re: What databases have taught me

From: Bruno Desthuilliers <onurb_at_xiludom.gro>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 10:43:00 +0200

Marshall wrote:
> Robert Martin wrote:
>

>>I think you'd need this code anyway if the above query was issued from
>>more than one place.  I doubt you'd want to duplicate the string.

> It depends. If we imagine the same query existing in two places
> in the code, and imagine what could make us want to change it
> in the future, do we imagine that we'd necessarily change *both*
> together or might we just want to change one?

This is in no way related to SQL/OO. You face this problem as soon as you want to factor out *any* redondant code - the question being 'is the duplication accidental or not ?'.

> There is also the question of how little code can there be such
> that we still call it a coherent abstraction? My general claim is
> that one line of code is typically *not*a coherent abstraction.

Depends on what you can do in one line of code with the implementation language...

> Because once we abstract it as a method, what do we
> need to do to invoke that method? One line of code.
> So we didn't gain anything.

Yes we did : we now have a single point of transformation.

> (Of course, not all lines of code
> are of equal complexity, so this is not a precise measure.)

Indeed

--
bruno desthuilliers
python -c "print '_at_'.join(['.'.join([w[::-1] for w in p.split('.')]) for