Re: What databases have taught me

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 20:38:10 -0500

On 2006-06-23 22:28:19 -0500, "Keith H Duggar" <duggar_at_alum.mit.edu> said:

> J M Davitt wrote:

>> Robert Martin wrote:
>>>
>>> I disagree.  We learned that OO was not hiearchy in the
>>> early 90s.  OO is dynamic polymorpism directed towards
>>> the purpose of managing dependencies.
>>
>> Dynamic polymorphism?  What's that?

> Hehe... rather amusing given that morph = change and change
> = dynamic. So it's redundant to say the least. It'd be neat
> to see the mentor's (who refuses to answer two simple
> questions I asked him) example of static polymorphism lol.

Static polymorphism is achieved in two ways. One is through generics, like the 'template' mechanism in C++. The other is achieved through link time substitution.

In this case 'dynamic' means "at run time" and "static" means "at compile or link time".

If you want more specific answers than that, then ask. You might have to ask more than once since I don't hang around here all that often.

As far as your other questions, I think I answered one of them in a different thread. I haven't seen the other one. There are too many posts on this group for me to keep track of and answer every question that is asked of me.

So calm down.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com