Re: What databases have taught me

From: Christian Brunschen <cb_at_festis.df.lth.se>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 10:18:30 +0000 (UTC)

In article <200606302006438930-unclebob_at_objectmentorcom>, Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com> wrote:
>On 2006-06-23 17:14:19 -0500, cb_at_festis.df.lth.se (Christian Brunschen) said:
>
>> In article <2006062317030938165-unclebob_at_objectmentorcom>,
>> Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com> wrote:
>>> [ ... ] However, the Smalltalk strain is gaining
>>> ground in the guise of Ruby.
>>
>> .. and has in fact been quietly going strong in the shape of Objectve-C
>> as well.
>
>Obj-C has survived in certain circles, but "going strong" is not quite
>the term I would use.

'Certain circles' being, for instance, Apple's Xcode development environment and Cocoa frameworks, and numerous applications on and for Mac OS X; I'd consider that it being the development language of choice for a significant computing platform does qualify as 'going strong'.

They're not just 'more like' message sends, they _are_ message sends. You can read the source for Apple's messaging implementation: <http://darwinsource.opendarwin.org/10.4.6.ppc/objc4-267.1/>

>the compile-link model makes it *very* different from Smalltalk/Ruby.

But perhaps less so than you appear to think. Seriously, you should perhaps take a closer look at Objective-C than you appear to have.

Best wishes,

// Christian Brunschen Received on Sat Jul 01 2006 - 12:18:30 CEST

Original text of this message