Re: What databases have taught me

From: Dmitry A. Kazakov <mailbox_at_dmitry-kazakov.de>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:17:48 +0200

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 17:37:34 GMT, Jay Dee wrote:

> Well, no. A function, let's say, an operation on integers which
> returns a rational (approximation, of course), like DIVIDE,
> requires that the types exist before the function -- but the
> types don't require the function at all. Granted, many OO
> languages bundle the methods up in the class -- but that's a
> mistake.

It is a philosophical question. In case you have missed my previous posts, I reject data. So my answer is no. Types don't exist without operations and values. All operations have to be defined as well as values.

Integer type models a mathematical structure. This structure contains division. Without division it is another structure and other type.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov