Re: No exceptions?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 01:24:12 GMT

paul c wrote:

> Bob Badour wrote:
>

>> paul c wrote:

>>> I don't catch your drift.  If we are on the same page, then trying to
>>> equate a relation that has either no rows or one row with a relation
>>> whose name is mis-spelled is indeterminate.  If doing that is the
>>> same then I would have to give up on my original question.
>>
>> You suggested that adding an attribute to a degree zero relation is a
>> degree one relation. However, whether one adds one attribute or an
>> arbitrary number of attributes is less important than the fact that
>> the candidate key will have an empty set of attributes.

> Thanks, I will try to ponder that in some way different from how I've
> been looking at it. Strictly speaking, I wasn't aware that one could
> 'add' an attribute to a relation, nor that any 'key' would persevere.

The extend operation creates a new relation by adding an attribute to an existing one. Strictly speaking, whether the candidate key would be preserved depends on the operation used to derive the extended attributes. Ungrouping a relation valued attribute, for instance, would affect the key. However, most familiar extend operations would not.

>> Identifying the error condition is easy. The problem of identification
>> only arises after you replace the error with DEE or DUM.

> It seems (as usual) that I haven't explained myself well enough. While
> at the UI, I think most people would consider a spelling error an error,
> I would like, at a very low internal level, to ignore typo's of that
> sort, evaluate it as written, and give a result that is logically
> consistent (assuming that is logically possible). I want to postpone
> what error decisions are shown at the UI level.

Postponing seems counterproductive on a number of levels. From a user's perspective, getting a timely and somewhat detailed error message is much better than someday getting a highly detailed error message that includes details of something the user never asked for or wanted. Received on Fri Jun 30 2006 - 03:24:12 CEST

Original text of this message