Re: Bob's 'Self-aggrandizing ignorant' Count: Was: What databases have taught me

From: erk <eric.kaun_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 Jun 2006 12:14:33 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:
> erk wrote:

> > As domains of values, object hierarchies have value.
>
> Types form DAGs not hierarchies. OO focuses on variables because it was
> invented for creating state machines. We need to focus more on values.

Fumble - I meant to write "... even class hierarchies have value."

Yes, since objects are somehow magically both variables AND values, it's no wonder semantics are confused. I've yet to see any value derived from this conflation, or from the everything-is-an-object mentality. The bedrock of every decent O-O apps I've worked on has been a nice core of "immutable objects" - aka values.

Of course, without relations, manipulating data in the middle and UI tiers was a difficult and time-consuming chore in juggling various custom container types.

  • erk