Re: What databases have taught me

From: Bruno Desthuilliers <bdesth.quelquechose_at_free.quelquepart.fr>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 03:08:11 +0200

erk a écrit :
> Dan wrote:
>

>>Absolutely true!  Relational or object-oriented, it doesn't matter,
>>it's the thought process and ability to apply critical analysis to
>>problems that makes or breaks the project or solves the problem in the
>>most elegant way possible.

> This seems to imply that the languages and other formalisms are all the
> same, though, and I don't think that's true at all.

It does not imply that RM and OO are "the same", but that the real problem is elsewhere.

> Yes, you can write
> horrid code using Lisp, Haskell, Java, assembler, XML, SQL tables,
> relations, etc., and you can write good systems in them as well, but
> that doesn't mean that some languages and constructs aren't better all
> around than some others. To assert otherwise is to assert that
> languages and systems have no impact on the way we think, and I think
> that's silly.

Flawed logic here. The fact that languages[/systems/tools/whatever] have an impact on the way we think does not imply that some languages[etc] are better "all around" than other. It only implies that some languages[etc] *can* be better (ie: more appropriate) for certain persons for a certain class of tasks. So, since it's a person that is doing the job, the purely technical aspect may not be the most important factor in success or failure.

The truth is that anyone trying to sell you a silver bullet is liar. Received on Wed Jun 28 2006 - 03:08:11 CEST

Original text of this message