Re: The wisdom of the object mentors

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Jun 2006 19:06:43 -0700

Bart Wakker wrote:
> frebe73_at_gmail.com writes:
> >
> > A algorithm could must obviously know about the data structure.
>
> Not at all! I'm currently writing many algorithms that get their data
> passed in as java objects. The algorithm does not need to know where
> the data came from and how it is stored in the database.

"Where the data came from" is not the data structure.

These methods you are writing, are they declared to receive arguments of type java.lang.Object? No? Then the objects support some interface, and that interface is the logical data structure.

Yes? Then how do you get the data out of them? Reflection? Then you have some agreed-upon meta-protocol, whereby the logical data structure may be queried.

An algorithm must obviously know about the data structure.

Marshall Received on Mon Jun 26 2006 - 21:06:43 CDT