Re: What databases have taught me

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:31:46 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:

> Frans Bouma wrote:
>

>> Bob Badour wrote:

>>> Bullshit. Most of the words used have very precise definitions if one
>>> bothers to learn them. See ISO/IEC 2382 for instance.
>>>
>>> The end product of design is necessarily precise. Can you imagine
>>> someone designing a building around having "some of those electric
>>> plug in thingies and some sort of light bulb thingie or other in
>>> every room" ? I can see the estimate from the builder for that design
>>> coming back: "That'll cost you some money--you know some of those
>>> colorful pieces of paper they let you exchange for thingies down at
>>> the store."
>>

>>     Though it's also a language thing. In my native language, Dutch, we
>> have the same word for Relation and Relationship. This is common in a
>> lot of the european languages. This gives problems when you discuss
>> elements of a relational model: one would use the same word for two
>> fundamental different elements in the relational model.

> Relationship has no particular meaning in the relational model--other
> than perhaps as an artificial distinction in one or another of Codd's
> early papers and now of interest only as an historical footnote.
>
> My Wolter's is packed up somewhere. Is 'association' the same word too?
> Is 'reference' the same word too?
>

> If a person
>
>> who's native language contains one word for Relation and Relationship
>> has to write an english text, like a newsposting, it can be that the
>> person uses the wrong word, as the person just knows one word for both:
>> to do it correctly, you have to know that in English there are two
>> words, not one.

> With all due respect, Dijkstra shared your mother tongue and he noted
> exactly the opposite:
>
> From _My Hopes of Computing Science_ EWD 709
>
> "One more remark about language that seems relevant. With English being
> computing science's Esperanto, colleagues with English as their native
> tongue often feel somewhat guilty about what they regard as their
> undeserved advantage over most foreigners. Their feeling of guilt is
> misplaced, because the advantage is ours. It is very helpful to have to
> do your work in what always remains a foreign language, as it forces you
> to express yourself more consciously. (About the most excellent prose
> written in our field that I can think of, is to be found in
> aforementioned ALGOL 60 Report: its editor had the great advantage of
> being, besides brilliant, a Dane. I have always felt that much of the
> stability and well-deserved fame of ALGOL 60 could be traced down
> directly to the inexorable accuracy of Peter Naur's English.)"
>
> April 1979
>
> http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/transcriptions/EWD07xx/EWD709.html
>

>>     This just as an example how a person could end up choosing the wrong
>> word for a term where a person would have picked a different word if
>> the person would have been a native speaker of the target language.

> [...]

I found another (and much earlier) EWD relevant to the last point:

 From _Some Comments on the Aims of MIRFAC_ EWD 68

"Of course he can check it, but the crucial point is whether he will find the errors! And of course he will not find them: for in human communication one is constantly trained to try to understand the others intentions and not to notice the nonsense."

Probably from 1963 or 1964 -- before I was born! Received on Mon Jun 26 2006 - 17:31:46 CEST

Original text of this message