Re: What databases have taught me

From: Bruno Desthuilliers <onurb_at_xiludom.gro>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 15:10:14 +0200

erk wrote:

> Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
>

>>Quite possible - I use Python instead of Smalltalk, [...]
>>
>>And objects are in no way tightly coupled to their classes - it's
>>perfectly legal to add/delete/replace attributes (including methods) on
>>a per-object basis,, to dynamically modify a class, to dynamically
>>create classes at runtime, or even to dynamically change the class of an
>>object (which can be tricky and happens to be of restricted practical
>>use, but still can be handy). I really don't feel like being "inevitably
>>and irrecovably imprisoned in a hierarchical strait-jacket", to quote
>>the OP.
>

> Agreed. If you want to see the language Java should have been, if Sun
> had the sense evolution gave a gnat, look at Nice.

(google, 30 seconds quick look at the front page...)

Hmmm, seems nice, indeed !-)

But at first sight, I don't see what it has to offer I don't actually have in Python.

(snip)
> Which might be why it'll never take off,

<troll>
May I suggest that the connection with Java is the worst possible marketing argument ?-)
</troll>

> but we can dream.

s/can/must/

And then try to refactor reality...

--
bruno desthuilliers
python -c "print '_at_'.join(['.'.join([w[::-1] for w in p.split('.')]) for