Re: Definition of Navigational (was: The wisdom of the object mentors)

From: topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com>
Date: 23 Jun 2006 09:12:14 -0700

Neo wrote:
> > There are no good, practical "map maths" known, so one is left navigating the swamp by hoping they don't take a wrong turn.
>
> Examples 4, 5, 12, 39, 117, 121, 123, 133, 139, etc at
> www.dbfordummies.com/example/default.asp might be considered swamp-like
> by some. In past discussions, you have agreed that example 12 might be
> too swampish for RMDBs, yet it is easy to navigate with dbd. Or could
> you specify a new swamp and a basic query that should demonstrate
> inability to make the right turns?

The court-house example? I didn't agree it was too messy for RDBS:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?CourtRoomSchemaExample

I have seen situations where existing RDBMS do not handle stuff well, but it could be remedied by having dynamic or type-free RDB's. Comparing current RDBMS to a fully dynamic one is like comparing Java to Smalltalk.

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?DynamicRelational

-T- Received on Fri Jun 23 2006 - 18:12:14 CEST

Original text of this message