Re: What databases have taught me

From: erk <eric.kaun_at_gmail.com>
Date: 23 Jun 2006 08:25:04 -0700

Erwin wrote:
> There's always SmallTalk, of course. Maybe you disagree, but I've
> heard more than one self-proclaimed OO-purist declare SmallTalk to be
> the only *true* OO language. And that alledgedly "one and only true OO
> language" is, to the best of my knowledge, a thousand times more
> strictly hierarchical than Java or C-with-any-suffix.

I don't know Smalltalk, but from those who do, it offers many functional features as well - lexical closures, first-class functions, and some others I can't recall offhand. These programmers told me that those, as much as the O-O, are key to Smalltalk's power. There's none of the bizarre and limiting division (class/function/primitive/...) in languages like Java, and it's the higher-order operations that give leverage to the O-O. So if Smalltalk is "pure O-O", perhaps it's the fact that it supports some other "paradigms" (sorry) that gives it such glowing reviews.