Re: What databases have taught me

From: Erwin <e.smout_at_myonline.be>
Date: 23 Jun 2006 05:17:21 -0700

> May I ask 2 questions here ?
> 1/
> 2/
> 3/

:-))))))

> OO is not restricted to Java and C++.

There's always SmallTalk, of course. Maybe you disagree, but I've heard more than one self-proclaimed OO-purist declare SmallTalk to be the only *true* OO language. And that alledgedly "one and only true OO language" is, to the best of my knowledge, a thousand times more strictly hierarchical than Java or C-with-any-suffix.

> Going over the board with genericity
> in prevision of changes that are barely previsible is an easy mistake.

Hear hear.

> Hmmm... The fact is that we *also* have to deal with hierarchical data
> structures, and relational algebra does not really shine here.

Hmmmmmm. Is it really the *algebra* you think is crippled ? What kind of operation do you think is unsupported by the algebra ?

> My 2 cents.

Ditto. Received on Fri Jun 23 2006 - 07:17:21 CDT