Re: What databases have taught me

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:26:55 -0400

JOG wrote:

> - I spent years coding large OO projects, with beautiful, elegant
> architectures.
> - I spent further years practically gnawing my arm off attempting to
> adapt my perfect OO designs as requirements inevitably shifted and
> exceptions arose.
> - I finally realised that my 'aha' was utterly illusionary, and that my
> code, being OO, was inevitably and irrecovably imprisoned in a
> hierarchical strait-jacket

Well said, this is my experience as well.

Then I asked, what does the framework look like if its sole purpose is to facilitate handling of data? Oddly enough the entire OO aspect disappeared, wasn't worth the bother. I've got a couple of objects in my code now, but they are hardly a theoretical basis for anything, just a handy trick of the language here and there.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.