Re: Example of expression bias?

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 02:04:47 GMT

Tony D wrote:
> paul c wrote:
>

>> even the first cut might be valuable for clarity's sake, probably not in
>> dollars, as the audience for this stuff is limited (but i think the
>> audience is an exclusive and worthy one which would make it worth kudos
>> AFAIAC).  why don't you put it out there?

> Ye gods, I'd be embarrassed ;) Seriously, it was hacked up to take to a
> conference to support the presentation I referred to a week or two ago,
> so was built to do that job and not much more. The last thing I did
> with it was to put in distributed keys, which only pointed out that I
> was stretching it to breaking point and ought to do it again. It was
> also written with the old wamcc interpreter from INRIA's Chloe project,
> which is the interpreter that pre-dates GNU Prolog. I'd like to redo it
> so that at least the main operators are compiled rather than
> interpreted.
>
> Next time I have some holidays, I think I will 'cos it's bugging me
> enough, and when I do I'll stick it on the net for folks to chortle at
> :)

don't be embarrassed. i'd like to try similar. i think it's good to put simple implementations out there in the name of progress, for people to compare, as long as one has another way to make a living. i imagine much of Codd's theory was aimed at the typical machines of his day which haven't changed in character, just in cost.

p Received on Wed Jun 21 2006 - 04:04:47 CEST

Original text of this message