Oracle FAQ Your Portal to the Oracle Knowledge Grid
HOME | ASK QUESTION | ADD INFO | SEARCH | E-MAIL US
 

Home -> Community -> Usenet -> comp.databases.theory -> Re: Results in Parallel columns

Re: Results in Parallel columns

From: x <x_at_not-exists.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 17:06:02 +0300
Message-ID: <e76aoo$dos$1@nntp.aioe.org>

"Marshall" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1150469629.683870.208860_at_i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> x wrote:
> > "Marshall" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:1150385707.530949.115490_at_g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

> > Well, that might come from the fact that I've not studied English, my
native
> > tongue is Novelian, I have been outside Novelia only one time for about
2
> > weeks, and I don't spend hours to carefuly translate each phrase I
write.

> This "Novelia" is a made-up name for a real place, yes?

It was suggested in a conversation with Hugh Darwen on ttm list. A translation of Roman from English to French and back to English came out as Novel.

>A place-name
> pseudonym the same way "x" is a person-name pseudonym.

So what. Those who are subscribers of ttm list know my real name by now. In math, x is the first choice for the name of an unknown. This is a theory group.
The e-mail address is fake 'cause I observed this is customary because of spam.
not-exists seemed appropriate at that time because of 'database' in the name of the NG.

> > You might have noticed I mostly use Latin loaned words and I don't use a
> > spell checker.

> I've noticed you're not a native speaker of English,but I haven't seen
> that you've any particular difficulty getting your ideas across.

> Whether those ideas make sense is another matter ... :-)

Across what ? Across the Styx ? Make sense to whom ?

> > I also have some trouble sometimes understanding some of your (pl.)
> > allusions.

> Ah, well, I am guilty of that, certainly. My alusions tend to be either
> of 19th century events or literature, or else 21st century late night
> cartoons. (Two of my interests outside of data management.)

0:15/1 o'clock cartoons from monday to thursday here in Novelia.

> Not a good way to make onesself understood internationally,
> I suppose.

Indeed. Especially because they are alusions and you don't care about this "internationally" thing maybe. After all this is an English NG.

> > Someone asked how he can check if two databases are syncronized after
> > syncronization or something like that.
> > I said the databases will be syncronized.(explanation: No need to check.
If
> > they weren't, that was not syncronization.)
> > Is that cryptic ? Opaque ? Obvious ?

> All of those, in order.

>At first it is cryptic, because without explanation it seems obviously
false.

That might be because an incorrect use of tenses in English. A simple question would have cleared that.

>Then if one decides to try to find a meaning,
> in becomes opaque, or "hard to understand."
> Then when one stumbles upon what you meant, it is obvious.

First it is not cryptic because no part is secret or coded. Then it is not opaque for the ones who spend a minute to think about it. Third it is not obvious because if it was, the poster have not asked the question.

<dict>
ob-vi-ous (ob'vee uhs) adj.

  1. easily seen, recognized, or understood; open to view or knowledge; evident.
  2. lacking in subtlety.
  3. Obs. being or standing in the way. </dict>

I ask again. What "obvious" means to you ?

> > Someone complained that I'm not subtle (or something like that), that
I'm
> > obvious, that I'm dull or veiled. You say I'm opaque and fine.

> So clearly there is some semantic issue; there is only disagreement
> as to what specifically it is.

> > [...]
> > 4. hard to understand; not clear or lucid.
> > [...]
>
> > See how difficult it is ?

> I recognize there are challenges and ambiguities in natural language,
> but that's not what I'm talking about.

I have no ideea of what you are talking about. I have little time to spend it writing pages when short phrases will due. I also tend to write short sentences for the reason that I not master English language to a level where I can afford start writting lengthy prose or poetry in it.

About the "lucid", a man have to drink once in a while. Take Bender for example. Received on Mon Jun 19 2006 - 09:06:02 CDT

Original text of this message

HOME | ASK QUESTION | ADD INFO | SEARCH | E-MAIL US