Re: OT fallacies (was: The wisdom of the object mentors)

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 18:02:40 +0200

On 2006-06-03 06:07:40 +0200, "Keith H Duggar" <duggar_at_alum.mit.edu> said:

> How do you know the purpose of those insults? I for one
> believe they served a /very/ different purpose having
> little to do with the argumentation here.

It would be interesting to know what purpose you think they served.

Since I was on the receiving end, I know what they meant to me. They sender of those insults was attempting to convince others that they had the better side of an argument by claiming intellectual superiority implicitly through insult. In other words, the sender of those insults was implicitly saying "Hay everybody don't listen to him, he's an idiot. i.e. They were ad-hominem arguments.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com