Re: Is SQL procedural or non-procedural?

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 10:23:21 -0400

kumar.vaibhav.jain_at_gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am confused on this issue that wether SQL is procedural or non
> procedural. What are your views on this issue?
>

> Thanks,
>
> VJ

Most if not all actual SQL implementations out there provide a procedural language for writing routines on the server. The non-procedural DML commands SELECT and friends can be embedded into the routines.

These languages have everything you would expect: IF..THEN/ELSE, DO WHILE and so forth.

These procedural languages are what extends databases so far beyond the passive role they are restricted to otherwise.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.