Named Mistakes and Questionable Practices

From: David Fetter <david_at_fetter.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 17:47:43 -0500

Folks,

Has anybody here made a list of canonical mistakes[1] that DB practitioners make?

One example mistake is the One True Lookup Table aka the Entity-Attribute-Value table, as in this article: <http://www.dbazine.com/ofinterest/oi-articles/celko22>. Doubtless people have run across others. Ideally, such references would:

  • Name the mistake,
  • Describe the mistake's implementation, and
  • Show how and under what circumstances it's a mistake, as the above article does.

Thanks in advance for any hints, tips, or pointers :)

Cheers,

[1] Let's exclude, for the purposes of this discussion, the idea that SQL itself is a giant mistake and that we should now be using VaporWareTransRelationalDBMS™--vague, questionable patents filed--which will eventually be a product some day. We can say that that horse has already been beaten well enough and is already deceased, if it makes people happier.

--
David Fetter <david_at_fetter.org> http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666

He who blesses his friend with a loud voice early in the morning, it
will be reckoned a curse to him.
                                                      Proverbs 27:14