From: Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 23:44:56 GMT

erk wrote:
> Andrew McDonagh wrote:

>> Bob,
>>
>> Can you not simply argue your point without resorting to insults?
>> [...]
>> However, just because its different does not mean its wrong.

> Nor does it mean it's right; that's why the non-insulting portion of
> the text is more important. While I don't agree with Bob's approach to
> these conversations, I find the substance of his arguments compelling.

He's only human and certainly not infallible - as has been seen. Taking   such a loud stance allows your detractors to take huge swings at your stature when you slip up. But then I don't think this concerns Bob much.

> Maybe I just lack civility, but whatever your conclusions, Bob's use of
> "idiot", "predator", "stupidity", etc. are backed up, usually in the
> same paragraph, by examples.
>

>> It certainly does not mean we need to respond with insults to argue our
>> point.

> Robert Martin's prose is less overtly insulting, but contains ample
> patronizing and implications of stupidity. Examples:

[Good examples snipped]

> REALLY patronizing. Implies gullibility on the part of - well, everyone
> but Bob, and declares this snake oil (not the subject of discussion,
> but a straw man) flawed, based evidently on his authority.
>
> Yes, Robert's writing is less overtly insulting, but at least Bob B's
> insults are direct and easy to identify, not masquerading as an
> argument. Personally, I'd prefer the insults.

He is certainly not wearing a sheep skin as some others here do!

[..]

> You're probably right. Maybe Bob enjoys it. Maybe he's even
> mean-spirited. That has little bearing on what he writes.

True - but it does have a bearing on whether the writing is effective when measured by assessing reader intake. Personally, whilst I do not have him filtered, I skim most of his posts - mainly because of late they have been long winded and somewhat pointless such as the dialogue with Martin.

Cheers, Frank. Received on Wed Jun 07 2006 - 01:44:56 CEST

Original text of this message