cdt glossary [persistence]

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 03:07:21 +0200

paul c wrote:

>> mAsterdam wrote:

[snip all but one line from the glossary]
>>> Milestones? For the glossary I prefer inch-pebbles.
>>
>> Okay, don't want to risk a premature definition but here's a stab at
>> an analogy/comparison for "persistence", a word that gets under my
>> skin most of the time I see it used here:
>>
>> If nothing changes but the time of day, what was true yesterday is
>> still true today.
>>
>> I may be wrong to see it this way, but this is why I don't associate
>> the acronym "rdms" with persistence, necessarily.
>>

> sorry, meant to say "if nothing else changes".

It appears there is a /real/ misunderstanding regarding the term persistence when discussing databases - so it is an appropriate candidate entry.

The first time I saw the term persistence described was (somewhere around p. 374) in a book I very much enjoyed by Charles Rumbaugh http://www-306.ibm.com/software/rational/bios/rumbaugh.html

I think it was
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0136298419/002-3586986-4592833?v=glance&n=283155

but mine is red and I can't find it.

I'll crosspost to comp.object, they may help. (Please read the cdt glossary first).

BTW did you really have to quote the whole glossary? Just scrolling up and down might cause RSI :-)

Proposals welcome! Received on Mon Jun 05 2006 - 03:07:21 CEST

Original text of this message