From: Cimode <>
Date: 2 Jun 2006 11:51:09 -0700

erk wrote:
> David Cressey wrote:
> > I thought the diffence between a "domain" and a "type" was precisely that
> > types include operators while domains do not.
> Neither types nor domains "include" operators. Functions can be defined
> over one or more types, but calling a function an operator is
> imprecise. I suppose "operator" generally means a function of type T

I am sorry but operators are *not* functions (relation model speaking).  They are a set of symbols (generally mathematical such as =) that can be applied to permissible values included in a specific domain. Each specific combination of operators applied help define a data type. That's all there's to it. Received on Fri Jun 02 2006 - 20:51:09 CEST

Original text of this message