From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 31 May 2006 11:03:21 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:
> Robert Martin wrote:
>
> > Finally, and this is critical to the understaning of my point, the code
> > in which data integrity is specified IS application code. It may be
> > written in a special purpose DB language, or it may not. But it is code
> > that supports the application.
>
> Code? Do you consider a well-formed formula code? Are logic predicates
> code? I am just curious what you define as code. If you define code to
> include everything, then your statement is true if unremarkable and
> uninteresting.

Another good catch.

A common misconception among application programmers is that their technique of managing integrity with hand written code protected by object encapsulation is the equal of a centrally managed declarative integrity constraint, and that it's merely six of one, half dozen of the other.

In fact, the reality is that the declarative integrity constraint is at a higher level of abstraction, and is at a much lower cost to produce and maintain, and at a much lower risk for error, than the hand-written code.

Marshall Received on Wed May 31 2006 - 20:03:21 CEST

Original text of this message