From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 31 May 2006 07:45:00 -0700

Robert Martin wrote:

> I disagree with this analogy. The RDBMS is a mechanisms for storing,
> accessing, reporting, data.

If your understanding of the role of the DBMS only extends that far, then no wonder you misunderstand so much.

Storage is an incidental feature of a DBMS. A thing can be a DBMS and not do persistence.

Your use of the word "access" again reinforces the idea that you view the DBMS as merely a storage mechanism.

That you completely fail to mention the *primary* uses of a DBMS is telling. Structure, integrity, and manipulation are the central strengths of a DBMS. The pride of application developers (or simply their lack of education) makes them want to reserve these functions for their application code, because that's the only hammer they know how to swing well. But application code is an inferior tool for these.

> That mechanism can be implemented many
> different ways and need not even be an RDB. The application code
> defines what the program does with the data.

It appears that the OOPL mantra of "state and behavior" has gotten you to the point of believing that data structures and imperative functions are the only way to work with a computer. You may wish to consider the possibility that this is a very limiting, perhaps even stunting way to look at the world.

Marshall Received on Wed May 31 2006 - 16:45:00 CEST

Original text of this message