From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 08:46:27 -0500

On 2006-05-30 07:33:03 -0500, "Tony Andrews" <andrewst_at_onetel.com> said:

> Alfredo Novoa wrote:
>> Robert Martin wrote:

>>> No, a DBMS is a bucket of bits with some low level rules to manage
>>> those bits. An OO application provides the beavior that the customer
>>> wants to see. We can completely eliminate the DBMS and replace it with
>>> another of an entirely different form (non Relational for example) and
>>> still have all the business behavior we need.
>>

>>> The people who sell databases have sold you, and the industry, a
>>> misconception: that the database is the heart of the system. This is
>>> flawed. The heart of the system is the application code. The database
>>> is a detail to be decided at the last possible moment and kept in a
>>> position so flexible that it can be swapped out for another at a whim.
>>
>> If the mentors are like this, I don't want to imagine the rest.
>
> Considering the use of so many button-pushingly ludicrous statements
> such as "a DBMS is a bucket of bits" and "swapped out for another at a
> whim", do you not think perhaps Mr Martin was teasing (or goading) you?

I was doing neither. I was expounding an attitude about DBMSs that I have found useful over the years. When I put a system together I treat the DBMS as a detail. I isolate it from the application code as much as possible. What results is an application design which is deeply partitioned into areas that know a lot about the DB and areas that know nothing about the DB. This is just good decoupling.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com