Re: Proof of Completeness of Algebraic Properties of Relational Lattice

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 22 May 2006 18:22:50 -0700

> > Ok, so first what is "Completeness"?
>
> See:
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.theory/browse_thread/thread/34d2fd86351b0181/#

In that thread, it seems Jan Hidders is the person mostly specifying "completeness" within his scope:

"We now call a set of algebraic identities *complete* if ifor all two expressions e1 and e2 that contain the same set of relation variables it holds that e1 =q= e2 iff e1 =a= e2."

As others also indicated, this doesn't seem to be the intuitive concept of "completeness" and it wasn't what I assumed either. If this is what is meant by "completeness" here, then I am completely exiting this thread :) Received on Tue May 23 2006 - 03:22:50 CEST

Original text of this message