Re: Sets and Lists, again

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 20 May 2006 06:35:41 -0700

David Cressey wrote:
> "dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> > David Cressey wrote:
> > > Recently, in a thread on implementing both threads and lists in a
> > > programming language, the example of lists or sets of Presidents arose.
> > > mentioned that in a list of presidents, Grover Cleveland would appear
> once,
> > > but in a list of presidencies, he would appear twice.
> > >
> > > Bob Badour asked what purppose would be served by a list of presidents,
> or
> > > words to that effect. I'm interested.
> > >
> > > If one could have a set of presidents, why would one ever want a list?
> >
> > president[40]
> >

> I would think that arrays would be more useful than lists for this purpose.
>
> Logically, they are equally useful. But you'd getter performance out of the
> array.

At the logical level, I'm using the two terms interchangably. I recognize that any particular language might implement a list without an index or might have multidimentional arrays and not lists, but they can be the same thing. --dawn Received on Sat May 20 2006 - 15:35:41 CEST

Original text of this message