Re: Process Model

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 12:03:14 GMT

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:rKkbg.9815$A26.243595_at_ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
> David Cressey wrote:
>
> > The term "process model" seems to have raised a lot of questions, and
not to
> > have conveyed what I intended to convey.
> >
> > Here's an example that illustrates, roughly, what I mean by a "process
> > model". This is a brief quote from "Object Oriented Analysis" by Coad
and
> > Yourdon.
> >
> > "The underlying strategy of functional decomposition consists of
selecting
> > the processing steps and sub-steps anticipated for a new system.
Analysts
> > use previous experience from similar systems, combined at times with an
> > examination of required outputs. The focus is on what processing is
> > required for the new system. The analyst then specifieas the processing
and
> > functional interfaces."
> >
> > As far as I can tell, functional decomposition results in a process
model.

> > Every information system I've dealt with was, at some stage of its
> > development, described by a process model and a data model. Sometimes
these
> > models were implicit and non verbalized, but they were models
nonetheless.

> I will assume Coad and Yourdon used 'functional decomposition' in its
> engineering sense and not in the computing sense for dividing tasks for
> parallel execution.

Coad and Yourden were discussing analysis, and mentioned functional decomposition as a way of analyzing the problem domain. They were building towards a motivation for object oriented analysis, the subject of the book. Received on Sat May 20 2006 - 14:03:14 CEST

Original text of this message