Re: Impossible Database Design?

From: Nikolai Onken <nikolai.onken_at_gmail.com>
Date: 18 May 2006 11:56:16 -0700

I didn't tell you yet:
I wanted to go to buy tickets to Israel today and guess what.. Inbetween the time our agent called her agent to find out the price and the call she made to confirm the flight after we decided that it was the right flight the price of the flight raised by 6 percent... yeah the guys who have writte that kind of software must have had a good imagination of time and sense.........
Better than that our agent had to tell us after we said that we want the flight, that the online based system crashed and that she would have to call us back today or tomorrow - with no guarantee whether the price stais or whether the flight actually would be still available (since yeah of course 500 other people could have tried to book the same flight at the exact same point...)... Anyways... of course i don't know why their system crashed but obviously these guys didn't have a clear idea how to handle time in their software...
Not only where they not able to make an offer without having the price change within 5 minutes because the system is online based, but they where not even able to freeze a reservation or so.... I don't even want to know how they handle price changes every few minutes and stuff in a relational database :) Luckily we have processors who can handle 64bit ... and dates until forever... Received on Thu May 18 2006 - 20:56:16 CEST

Original text of this message