Re: Impossible Database Design?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 16:20:56 GMT

Nikolai Onken wrote:

> Well though there are calendar applications which support 'infinite'
> entries...

Not really. I have yet to see one that uses an infinite representation for time, which means they are inherently finite.

> Only that would mean that they can't support overlapping of events at
> any time (does this event overlap another one at some point..)...
> So I guess I have to fundamentally decide whether I want to support a
> feature like "you already have a gig in 3056" or whether "I have a
> something every january until forever"..
> hmm...

Why would you stop at 3056? Many systems should not encounter problems until 9999/12/31 at the minimum.

I reiterate my suggestion to read the existing literature on temporal databases. I assume you could not possibly have obtained a copy of the Date/Darwen/Lorenzos book and read it in the seven minutes it took you to reply. Received on Tue May 16 2006 - 18:20:56 CEST

Original text of this message