Re: A Logical Model for Lists as Relations

From: Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 05:49:14 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:
> Jay Dee wrote:
>> Marshall Spight wrote:

[..]

> Since it is relatively easy to write a query that extends a relation
> with a rank per any explicit order, I am not even sure the ordinal
> attribute is required.

I suspect Bob won't see this post but here it goes anyway - someone else might have some tips. :-)

I have generated the said extension in the past (and rarely) on small datasets to reduce the performance hit on the server.

However I have always wondered if there was a much smarter way that would still perform well in any instance.

Are there any examples about of the current state of the art?

BTW - I admit my laziness in not having even Googled this yet!

Cheers, Frank. Received on Thu May 11 2006 - 07:49:14 CEST

Original text of this message