Re: Lucid statement of the MV vs RM position?

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 3 May 2006 09:06:41 -0700

Jon Heggland wrote:
> dawn wrote:

[snip]
> > In order to model as much meaning as feasible, I want my data modeled
> > in a biased way (a way biased toward meaning where color and paper are
> > different, see chat with JOG on this topic),
>
> "Biased towards meaning"---as opposed to what? Meaninglessness? I'm
> talking about biased towards query as opposed to update, or towards
> certain queries at the expense of others. Twisting reasonably accepted
> terms like that does not help your argument.

Agree. I like the "biased towards certain queries at the expense of others" - it's a nice way of putting it.

> FWIW, I don't endorse the entity-attribute thinking you (and JOG)
> indulge in. It confuses the issue, and does not contribute anything. For
> example, I consider treating colour and paper differently a flaw, not an
> advantage.

Exactly Jon - there is no difference between them and treating them so is flawed . Dawn has assumed a colour is a 'weak entity', but there is no justification for this assumption from the propositions that were inititally supplied.

Workload means i can't currently reply in full to dawn - but trying to clarify why E-A thinking can be misleading in terms of the logical model is a worthwhile (if not easy) exercise imo.