From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2 May 2006 07:46:26 -0700

Marshall Spight wrote:

> Point 5 ... I will grant you nothing in the relational world is
> very far along with parametric polymorphism. The significance
> of this fact, however, is greatly reduced by the fact that
> the relational algebra is itself parametrically polymorphic.

By way of expanding on that:

Consider that almost everything fancy an OOPL can do can be accomplished with a small number of natual joins. But what is necessary to get an OOPL to do a natural join? I know of no programming language (outside of a few very new research languages, like perhaps Epigram) that can correctly assign a type to natural join. C++ can't do it. Haskell can't do it.

Marshall Received on Tue May 02 2006 - 16:46:26 CEST

Original text of this message