From: Alvin Ryder <alvin321_at_telstra.com>
Date: 1 May 2006 18:01:25 -0700

JOG wrote:
> Alvin Ryder wrote:
> [snip]
> > But once we try to capture the "meaning" of data to provide more
> > intelligence in the db, we enter a wide open never ending pursuit. Now
> > we are not using sets in a blind way.
> [/snip]
>
> Hi Alvin, apologies for the ruthless snip, but I have seen this sort of
> sentiment so many times that it becomes frustrating. Data has no
> meaning to a pc. It is just data. Computers simply cannot 'do' meaning
> - understanding of semantics requires embodiment in the appropriate
> domain. This situatedness is such a complex problem that AI is decades,
> if not hundreds of years, from solving it. As such, anything with
> cliche's such as 'bridging the semantic gap' or 'providing meaning' in
> the title is currently fool's gold.
>
> Data models describe things for us. The best ones do so with solid
> theoretical basis such as RDM, but that is all they do.

Hi JOG,

You must've snipped my reference to one of many of Codd's papers on the subject. You liked his 1970 work, I thought you might've enjoyed some of his other contributions as well ;-)

Granted the simplicity of the earlier version of the model has great appeal, but surely you can admit there are limitations, If you haven't discovered any, nevermind, enjoy you day.

Cheers. Received on Tue May 02 2006 - 03:01:25 CEST

Original text of this message