Re: All hail Neo!

From: Jay Dee <ais01479_at_aeneas.net>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 23:38:44 GMT

Marshall Spight wrote:

> Jay Dee wrote:
>

>>Marshall Spight wrote:

>>>Columns are added to the truth tables of existing boolean functions,
>>>you say? Can you give an example? The columns of the truth table
>>>for a boolean function correspond to the input and output parameters
>>>of that function, so saying column are added is saying that there
>>>are additional arguments or result values. This is certainly not
>>>true for AND and OR; can you give an example of a boolean function
>>>for which it is true?
>>>
>>>And the assertion that "rows are added" does not make
>>>a "yes" answer to my question. Adding rows does not
>>>change the pre-existing rows.
>>>
>>>I know what the combinatorial explosion is, and it's one reason
>>>why I argue against the use of 3VL in language design.
>>>

>>>Marshall
>>>

>>(using a monospace font...)
>>
>>and| T | F
>>---+-------
>> T | T | F
>> F | F | F
>>
>>must become
>>
>> and| T | F | null
>>----+-------------
>> T | T | F | ?
>> F | F | F | ?
>>null| ? | ? | ?
>>
>>more columns, more rows.
>

> Ah, I see. You are using a structure for the truth table
> where each axis is a parameter. That is perfectly valid,
> but it is not how I structure them, so we are talking
> past each other.

Okay, then, with the nullary operators,

n0 n1

T F

the unary operators

      u0 u1 u2 u3
---+---------------
T | T T F F
F | T F T F

(where u1 is identity, u2 is negation, and u0 and u3 are anonymous), the "big six" binary operators

      /\ \/ -> <- = <>

---+-----------------------
TT | T   T   T   T   F...
TF | F   T   F   T   F...

FT | F T T ...
FF | ...

and the sole ternary operator ("if, then, else") we find useful:

      (conditional composition?)

(I've also seem these sets named niladic, monadic, dyadic, &c.)

> I prefer all the parameters (in and out both) as columns; > it generalizes better to n-ary functions.

(Sorry, I've got the "in and out both" as rows.)

I don't see how adding a third value could result in anything other than an explosion of rows, columns, or rows and columns.

> Anyway, it appears we all agree "NVL bad".

Both "n-VL | n <> 2" and the SQL-ish "NVL(..., ...)" are... Bad? Hmm, that doesn't seem to be sufficiently judgmental.