Re: Shared game-data

From: Alvin Ryder <alvin321_at_telstra.com>
Date: 30 Apr 2006 18:42:59 -0700

Frank Hamersley wrote:
> Alvin Ryder wrote:
> > mAsterdam wrote:
> [..]
> >>>
> >> Would you agree that this scheme wouldn't work for massively
> >> multiplayer games?
> >
> > Yes, I reckon you're right, that's what I've heard.

> [..]
>

> Interesting - I had presumed the bandwidth constraints would put even
> more pressure for each player host to hold as much game as possible and
> apply/generate the state change messages on a minimalist basis. Of
> course this is not "efficient" use of resources but I can't see how you
> would scale up endlessly a centralised server solution.

I suspect they use distributed servers and it all probably works similar to how domain name servers (DNS) work on the Internet but as I've said before, this is a sub-speciality I've never worked with so I just can't say for sure.

> Of course in a large game terrain not every player needs to be known to
> every other (over the horizon invisibility if you like). However you
> would need some serious smarts to know how far any particular state
> change event must be promulgated if run as a massively distributed
> execution engine.

To achieve decent frame rates you only get milliseconds to compute everything so optimizations are mandatory. As for smarts, often things that appear almost magical turn out to be simple.

> Cheers, Frank.

Best regards. Received on Mon May 01 2006 - 03:42:59 CEST

Original text of this message