Re: Shared game-data

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 30 Apr 2006 08:18:12 -0700

Alfredo Novoa wrote:

> Development tools designers don't know the RM so they don't take
> advantage on it.

This is exactly the problem. (And the opportunity!)

The metaphor I sometimes use to think about the issue is that of continental drift. There have been two widely divergent environments, or continents if you will: business data management, and single-user application programming. Each has had decades to mature in isolation, and become highly refined in their own way. But there has been little or no knowledge transfer between the two groups.

But now for whatever reason ("teh interweb" I suppose) the two contintents have drifted together and these various species have come into contact. Mostly the result is not pretty. We have a thousand kinds of duck-billed platypus as a result (aka the 1000 awful O/R mapping tools on sourceforge, written by "some guy in a garage and his dog" as a coworker once remarked.)

We also have a chance to do something really great. If we can bring together the best ideas of both worlds ...

Marshall Received on Sun Apr 30 2006 - 17:18:12 CEST

Original text of this message