Re: All hail Neo!

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 Apr 2006 09:08:30 -0700

Jay Dee wrote:
> Marshall Spight wrote:
> > Bob Badour wrote:
> >
> >>If one starts with a two valued logic and adds a third value, one
> >>changes all of the features of the prior logic. Every truth table must
> >>change. Every identity is potentially affected as are associativity,
> >>distributivity etc.
> >
> > Do the pre-existing rows of the truth tables of existing
> > boolean functions change?
>
> Yes; columns and rows are added. The result is the "combinatorial
> explosion" referred to elsewhere.

Columns are added to the truth tables of existing boolean functions, you say? Can you give an example? The columns of the truth table for a boolean function correspond to the input and output parameters of that function, so saying column are added is saying that there are additional arguments or result values. This is certainly not true for AND and OR; can you give an example of a boolean function for which it is true?

And the assertion that "rows are added" does not make a "yes" answer to my question. Adding rows does not change the pre-existing rows.

I know what the combinatorial explosion is, and it's one reason why I argue against the use of 3VL in language design.

Marshall Received on Sat Apr 29 2006 - 11:08:30 CDT