Re: Lucid statement of the MV vs RM position?

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 05:59:14 GMT

"Pickie" <keith.johnson_at_datacom.co.nz> wrote in message news:1146013144.631672.77130_at_j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> It is possible to build different applications which use the same data
> files. This is not usually done by independant teams if the data is to
> be modified.

This is where I diverge from the Pick culture. It's precisely this situation that interests me: Independent teams writing applications that collaborate by exchanging data in a meaningful, formal fashion.

If the data is exchanged interactively, you can use a network. If the data is to be persistent, and trustworthy over time, you can use a database. In either case you want to manage the resource that enables data sharing, and the data to be shared.

This divergence of culture explains more about the ongoing debates than divergences in the internals of the tool sets, divergences in syntax and semantics, and divergences in methodologies, IMO.

Perhaps by understanding that we are trying to solve different problems, we will understand that different things look "good" or "productive" to us. Received on Wed Apr 26 2006 - 00:59:14 CDT