Re: Has E/R had a negative impact on db?

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 14:47:27 GMT

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:V1L2g.64571$VV4.1222924_at_ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
> David Cressey wrote:

[snip]

> > I honestly believe that this long discussion has lost sight of the idea
that
> > the E/R model is an analysis model, and not a design model. Arbitrary
> > choices made during the analysis phase can be useful, in order to come
up
> > with a conceptual model that is easily communicated from one person to
> > another. That's the main usefulness of an E/R model, IMO. If the E/R
model
> > were a design model, then arbitrary choices would be far more costly.
>
> Perhaps, our experiences differ. I have found the NIAM/ORM methods of
> constructing english sentences to describe the concepts more useful for
> communicating with domain experts.

Perhaps. I don't have enough experience with NIAM/ORM to compare with E/R.

> Programmers like pretty pictures, but users' and business experts' eyes
> glaze over. This usually precedes: "That's good. When will the software
> be ready?" ;)

Our experiences differ here, as well. The users and business experts I've dealt with like pretty pictures, provided they are few in number! On the other hand, a large number of English sentences, bound together in something like a "functional spec" make their eyes glaze over. Received on Sun Apr 23 2006 - 09:47:27 CDT