Re: All hail Bob!

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 13:40:55 GMT

David Cressey wrote:

> "Jay Dee" <ais01479_at_aeneas.net> wrote in message
> -----
>
> Or you might just be ignorant, which is not the same thing as "rock headed
> moron". The problem that people who know something often have is how to
> deal with the "invincibly ignorant" person.

"There is no stopping the invincibly ignorant. - DT"

> What I would wish from someone like BB is that he could, by now, offer links
> to websites that develop the ideas in proper detail, and offer a positive
> alternative. I refuse to believe that no such websites exist, or that BB
> doesn't know of any of them.
>
> In short, rudeness, by itself, accomplishes nothing.

I could point you to the papers Lee Fesperman publishes on his site at http://www.firstsql.com/issues.shtml, and I could point you to http://www.thethirdmanifesto.com/, and I could point you to Fabian Pascal's site at http://www.dbdebunk.com/

However, those links would not substitute for a proper education on the subject. For that, at a minimum, one would have to read a number of books.

For those whose goal is to use database management systems, I suggest one can make a very good start at the book list on Fabian's site: http://www.dbdebunk.com/books.html

Date's _Introduction ..._ is comprehensive. Fabian's book is good for those who already know a bit of SQL or some of the RM. _The SQL Standard_ will be less useful to most people.

The links and books would do nothing at all for the sorts of folks who might contribute at the level of a Jan or a Vadim. Received on Fri Apr 21 2006 - 15:40:55 CEST

Original text of this message