Re: IDJIT! Your Data Model Can't Posssibly Work!

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 20 Apr 2006 07:10:11 -0700

Another note, in RM, one can perform various forms of normalization (1NF, 2NF, 3NF, BCNF, 5NF) and C.J. Date admits that "there might be 6NF, 7NF and so on ad infinitum". In the Db for DunderHeads' data model, there is nothing like "normalization" (or schemas) from the user's point of view, as it represents data without redundancy which is approximately equivalent to RM's infinith form of normalization. In RM, after one creates a schema and populates it with data, I can specify new things to represent that will cause a NULL to appear in the RMDB. After one updates the schema and gets rid of the NULL, I can repeat the process over and over, until one realizes that while it may be theoretically possible, it is highly impractical. Received on Thu Apr 20 2006 - 16:10:11 CEST

Original text of this message