Re: IDJIT! Your Data Model Can't Posssibly Work!

From: Hugo Kornelis <hugo_at_perFact.REMOVETHIS.info.INVALID>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 00:35:56 +0200

On 19 Apr 2006 15:00:42 -0700, Neo wrote:

(snip)
>> If the unlikely, the improbably and even the impossible should be
>> allowed to be stored, RM, ORM, ER, UML, [etc] can go out the window.
>
>:) Will all the humans alive fit through that window?

Hi Neo,

How many humans are built around a predefined data model?

>In RM, the correct answer is, there is such a schema but it is highly
>impractical.

Ah, the grand EAV design. Yes, I've seen it.

I've also once seen a set of procedures that allowed me to play checkers on SQL Server. Apparently, someone had way too much time on his hands, so he decided to prove that it's possible. Does this mean that SQL Server is now the ideal game platform? Of course not!

The mere fact that something is possible doesn't mean that it's a good idea. That goes for playing checkers on a database, and it also goes for the EAV design. Systems built around the EAV design have a tendency to break down - usually in one to two years.

Best, Hugo Received on Thu Apr 20 2006 - 00:35:56 CEST

Original text of this message