From: Nick Malik [Microsoft] <nickmalik_at_hotmail.nospam.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 23:23:49 -0700

"Neo" <neo55592_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1145410617.182976.267600_at_e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...
>> > Neo: Judges, Bailiffs, etc in Court Building Example
>>
>> TopMind: http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?CourtRoomSchemaExample
>
> I will make some general comments based on the assumption that the RMDB
> solution will be similar to exp db solution (except in terms of
> constraints, which rmdb can handle much better). Currently the simpler
> RM schema consists of approximately the following tables (I have
> modified some names slightly to make the comparison easier, if this is
> disruptive, let me know).
>
> T_Person (personID, role, name, phone#, email)
> T_Building (bldgID, name)
> T_Location (locID, name)
> T_Person_Loc_Map (personID, locID)
>
> While the exp db doesn't have "tables" (unless modelled), it is similar
> to having the following tables:
> T_Building, T_Floor, T_Room,
> T_Person, T_Judge, T_StaffMember, T_Clerk,
> T_Assistant, T_Coordinator, T_Bailiff, T_CourtReporter
> T_Phone, T_EMail,
> T_Name

<clip>

yep. I was right. You've reinvented Prolog. Not that it needed reinventing. Don't feel bad. In 1983, I decided, while in college, to invent a language and write a compiler for it. I wrote the compiler in Pascal. Just after I finished the compiler, one of my class mates asked me why I didn't write my compiler in C. My response: I didn't know C. He said, and I'm not kidding, "of course you do... this is a C compiler."

The language I invented was, essentially, C. I was about 15 years(?) too late, of course. Kernigan and Richie had beat me to it long before. But there you have it... great minds and all that.

So, in your quest for a flexible logic management schema, you've reinvented Prolog.

Congratulations.

--
--- Nick Malik [Microsoft]
    MCSD, CFPS, Certified Scrummaster

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this forum are my own, and not
representative of my employer.
   I do not answer questions on behalf of my employer.  I'm just a
programmer helping programmers.