From: topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com>
Date: 18 Apr 2006 21:54:11 -0700

Neo wrote:
> Below is an updated view of things in the tree. In the prior one, the
> email addresses could not be read, so I have added a space before the _at_
> symbol in this post. Also I added a view of types Names and Verbs and
> their relevant instances. The script does not make these a direct item
> under the main directory (Dir) as they are relatively minor types. I
> will now take a closer look at your web link.
>
> Dir
> |-item-
> |-Building
> | |-instance-
> | |-CourtHouse1
> | |-has-
> | |-Floor1+
> | |-Floor2+
> | |-Courtney+
> |
> |-Floor
> | |-instance-
> | |-Floor1
> | | |-has-
> | | |-Room1+
> | | |-Ashley+
> | |
> | |-Floor2
> | |-has-
> | |-Room1+
> | |-Room2+
> |
> |-Room
> | |-instance-
> | |-Room1 (of Floor1)
> | | |-has-
> | | |-Clark+
> | |
> | |-Room1 (of Floor2)
> | |
> | |-Room2 (of Floor2)
> | |-has-
> | |-Judy+
> |
> |-Person
> | |-instance-
> | |-Judy
> | | |-phone#-
> | | |
> | | |-email-
> | | |
> | | |-staffMember-
> | | |-Clark+
> | | |-Ashley+
> | | |-Colby+
> | | |-Brandy+
> | | |-Courtney+
> | |
> | |-Clark
> | | |-phone#-
> | | |
> | | |-assistant-
> | | |-Ashley+
> | |
> | |-Ashley
> | | |-phone#-
> | | |-737-5588
> | |
> | |-Colby
> | | |-email-
> | | |-Colby _at_msn.com
> | |
> | |-Brandy
> | | |-phone#-
> | | |-919-9945
> | |
> | |-Courtney
> | |-phone#-
> | | |-203-9898
> | |
> | |-email-
> | |-C _at_gov.org

> [...]

This is a typical structure of a "navigational" or "hierarchical" database. They are fine for particular specific uses, but over time people found they grew into messes and are hard to query for unforseen questiones. Dr. Codd was working with stuff like this when he fealt there should be a better way.

I cannot give specific scenarios to demonstrate where it falls apart right now. I'll have to get back to you on that.

-T- Received on Wed Apr 19 2006 - 06:54:11 CEST

Original text of this message